Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A new concept

Ok, so after all the "there's a special guy out there just for you" comments I had to post a follow up. Humor me for a moment. What if there were more than one special someone. I know that sounds like heresy, but it's not. Just continue to humor me for just a moment. What if it weren't so much a matter of love at first sight (does anybody really believe that anymore?) as much as it is compatability.
My biggest problem with the whole idea of that special someone someone is what implies. It's especially hard for women beause we are expected to just sit around on our dead buts twiddling our thumbs and waiting for God to hit us with a lightening bolt that says "THIS IS THE ONE." I'm sorry, but that isn't for me. I have better things to do with my time then sit around and wait for Mr. Right. This might sound like a contradiction in terms, it's not.
In order to be happy in being single it is imperitive that one should not spend all of one's time looking or thinking about who their right person is. To a degree, this also damages friendships between members of the opposite gender. What I mean is that if one spends all of ones time thinking about hoow that person is their right person how much time are spending in actually being friends? Isn't it more important to be friends first before you even start thinking in that direction?
Furthermore, love is a choice. Therefore, you can choose to love the wrong someone. You can also choose to love a right someone. Given this, it is extremely possible that there are more than one right someones. It is a matter of compatability, not love at first sight. Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally ruling out love. I still believe in love, I'm just not a believer in love at first sight. Nor do I think that love is sole thing in a relationsip. Ask couples you know who have been married twenty years or more. They will tell you, it's the ability to grow and mature together that counts, love is just a really nice by product. I'm probably stepping on some toes here, but I'm really good at that.

No comments: