Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Church Accountability. Is it really too much to ask?

The beauty of a home church is accountability. At my home church in Corvallis, granted I've been going there for the last six years, if miss a week there will be people who notice and ask where I've been the next time I show up. However, this morning when I went to the same church I've gone to in Salem for the last year, I felt none of that same accountability. Granted churches change, but still there really ought to be some of that accountability in every church. It seems that if you go to a church for more than two weeks there ought to be people who notice. It shows you care. As Christians we are supposed to show concern, and supposed to keep each other accountable. Is it really too much to ask people to show that same kind of accountability? I don't care if you're young or old, all generations should do something to keep the other generation accountable. And whatever happened to making new people feel welcome? For Pete's sake, if there's someone there you don't know, don't let them slip through cracks. Actively look for new people, make them feel welcome. *Getting out soap box and stepping up.* Seriously you guys, how many new people do you see at church, or Bible study and don't make any effort to make them feel welcome. Is it really too much too ask? I'm not asking you to talk to every new person you see, although that would be cool. What I am asking you to do is find at least one person you don't know, who might be new AND MAKE THEM FEEL WELCOME! *Steps down from soap box and puts it away,*

No comments: