Saturday, December 30, 2006

Grand URBANA Adventure Day Three

Woke up to the realization that all five of us had slept through the alarm. So at 6:45 we were all ruely awakend with Jessica "Laies it's 6:45, well past time to be getting ready to go." I went into panic mode. I was supposed to meet Stuart for breakfast at 6:30. Everyone marvele at how quickly I was able to get ready to go. I was dressed and ready to go just as Stuart knocked knocked on my door to make sure I was still coming. I took a couple minutes to check on some things an grab stuff and joined him for breakfast.
Breakfast again consisted of coffee, donuts and muffins. I partook of the coffee, but skipped the donuts and muffins. I skipped out the inductive Bible study and found something with a bit more substance to it for breakfast. I joined up with the rest of the gang for another phenomenal message from Ajith Fernando. He spok again on Ephesians and dealt with the need for humility and commitment. "We are living in a throw-away culture. Anything that's a nuisance is disposed of. That is the culture, but that is not Christianity. We are patient people because as Christians we are committed to them. A Christian says Lord I can't be angry with this person, help me to make up with them. When you are committed to a person it gives great freedom . . . Humility is a logical response to grace in our lives because you realize that you don't deserve anything."
I caught the metroplex to the first afternoon seminar on engaging the postmodern campus. I met up with two graduates of Biola university. One of them was Taiwanese. He grew up in Taiwan but wasn't a Christian until he came to the United States. Now he would like to go back to Taiwan as a missionary. After eating lunch with them I went to my seminar and foun it very informative.
I caught the metroplex back to the convention center for the second seminar entitled "What does it mean to be a Christian Writer?" This was a panel of speakers consisting of people who worked with InterVarsity Press. It was mostly a Q & A time though it was interesting to get several different perspectives on the subject matter.
From that session I looked through the bookstore an bought an URBANA '06 sweatshirt and a book by Colin Brown called the History of Western Thought. Very excited to start reading.
I met up with Stuart for dinner where URBANA staff serve us an AIDS awareness meal, porridge. I tried to think of it as lumpy, watered down cream of wheat. That didn't work very well. All I could think about was the middle ages and then my thoughts turne to Oliver Twiset "please sir, I want some more." I realized that some people would have killed to eat this. I prayed that my life would never get so bad. I realized how truly bad Oliver's need and hunger must have been for him to want more of something I found so revolting. I started gagging after the third bite. More on this URBANA meal later. It was however, interesting to watch people eat the stuff. Some people to big bites, others small ones. Some people scraped their bowls others left significant portions. However, it ought to be noted that all ate.
After the meal Stuart and I met up with the others for the main evening session. The first speaker was a woman lawyer who was a Jewish Christian. She worked for the International Justice Mission and had a good hand in rescuing people who were put into brothels and other such attrocities. I can't tell you anything about the second speaker as I nearly passed out again from lack of protein and did end up falling asleep.
Rather than evening prayer time we had an extended AIDS awareness session in which I realized that the problem is not as simple as I think it is, I will have more on this subject later. After being dismissed we went back to our hotels for a good night's rest.

No comments: