Friday, December 28, 2007

Unconditional Love

I've always had a little bit of a problem with the concept of unconditional love. Not so much believing it exists, more accepting it to be true for my self. It is hard for me to fathom why anyone, or any god, let alone the God, would love me unconditionally.

Scripture states in Romans "there is none righteous, no note one." I suppose it is for this reason that I feel as though I must somehow earn unconditional love. However, if in fact it were possible to earn unconditional love, it would no longer be unconditional. Working for something places a condition on it.

So I guess for me the question isn't so much does unconditional love exist, but how do I accept unconditional love? This is a kind of love I am not used to receiving. This is Christ like love that doesn't care how much I screw up, it is still there. The kind of love that I am use to seeing is an if then kind of love, if you do these things then I will receive the kind of love I so desperately desire.

Yet once again it relates to the need for approval. I often make the mistake of confusing the two because in my mind the two are the same. Approval equals love. I know this is not the case, but it is something my mind has difficulty separating. So here's the thing, how does one separate these things?

No comments: