Monday, January 1, 2007

Grand URBANA Adventure Day Five

Rose at 6:45AM and went down for breakfast again consisting of donuts, mffins and coffee. I grabbed what's becoming my usual cup of coffee with cream and sugar, a donut and sat down. I sat with a guy named Smiley Adams from Jackson, MI. This was way cool because my church did a missions trip to Jackson, MI. As it happens, it is the very church that Smiley Adams attends. It's a small world. We discussed how a predominately white school such as mine cross cultural lines. It was really cool to hear what God has been doing in Jackson since my church was there. We exchanged emails then parted ways.
After joining up with the rest of the group I again skipped out on the morning Bible study to get breakfast. Some of you have been wondering why this has been my habit. First, get up earlier would mean getting up at 5:30 in the morning to get my breakfast, not happening. Second there are no restaraunts where I can get something cheap around our hotel. Thirdly mass transportation leaves at 7:30 and that's the only chance you have to get to the convention center. Lastly, I get more out of my personal inductive Bible Study than I got out of a Bible study with 200 or more people where we were only allowed about five minutes to spend on observations. So while the rest were doing their bible studies, I did my own. Have no fear for my spiritual halth. Also, Ajith Fernando's teaching was absolutely incredible and as good or better than any large group study any day.
After standing in line for an hour and a half at Quizno's to get my lunch, I wandered around Connexions, where all the missions exhibotrs were, and the bookstore. I turned in my five dollar coupon for a copy of Why the Rest Hates the West. I am very excited to start reading this epecially after taking Middle East history last semester.
From there I went to a seminar entitled Artist Transforming Culture. This was by far the most interesting seminar I had been to. The speaker spoke on God's desire to bring color into the world and the responsibility Christian Artists have to bring do just that.
From there I met up with Stuart for dinner and we went to the main session. A woman attempted to give a summary of Ephesians and spoke of the necessity of finding your purpose. The next speaker was Terrence Nichols who was by far the best evening speaker we'd had all week. His statement "God has a desire to use you in spite of your past had a huge impact on me." Everytime I think of all that God has forgiven me, and the fact that I have been forgiven, it brings a smile to my face. Well my flight is about leave and I am returning home. Rest assured that I will have more blogs on my thoughts from URBANA. Thank you all so much for your prayers while I have been at URBANA.

No comments: