Saturday, March 3, 2007

The Fine Line

I'm talking about girls here for the moment, but guys your input here would be much appreciated as well. I am currently extremely frustrated with the love game. It seems to me, and guys correct me if I'm wrong, that the whole deal is slightly easier for guys, if you like a girl you ask her out, if not you move on. For a girl, it's what I like to call the donkey syndrome. If you jump high enough, and long enough, and be sure to yell "pick me, pick me' over and over the guy may actually turn around and decide to notice you.
However if a girl likes a guy it is somehow not socially acceptable to walk right up and tell him so. So at what point is a girl supposed to make herself known to the guy, and at what point is she throwing herself at the guy? No girl wants to throw herself at a guy, that's just not a good situation, but I don't know if any girl wants to sit around and wait for some guy to notice her anyway. I'm just not sure at what point it gets less frustrating for women. Perhaps this is because I come from the old school of thinking that it ought to be the guy's responsibility to ask a girl out, but I'm not willing to budge on this one. So with that said, what's a girl to do?

3 comments:

Anna said...

A tough question. I sometimes think it relates to the comment the Greek mother makes in MBFGW - "The man may be the head, but the woman is the neck and she turns the head where she wants it to go" - I don't adhere strictly to the idea that the man must be the only one initiating something, but what I've concluded is that the woman can encourage the guy in the desired direction (especially when he's as perceptive as a turnip) without ending up as the man of the relationship.

Unknown said...

I'm going to argue a bit here and say that I don't think you really need to do anything. If you're after a guy for a romantic relationship, the friendship you (hopefully) have or could have will be harmed. If you're interested in a guy, try to develop a friendship with him and get to know him - demonstrate an interest in knowing him better, and if he's even remotely interested in getting to know you better, he'll respond, possibly with leadership in the romantic realm as well.

I don't think females should initiate romantic relationships, but inviting a guy to a group outing or to join you in something you're excited about (going to a movie with a group and then coffee afterwards, a play, a dance, a concert, etc) is completely within the realm of "acceptable" behavior. While asking him to go do something alone with you would likely be perceived as a "date," if you're gathering a group of friends and include him, that shows him you care enough for him as a friend to want him there. Continue to include him to the extent that he wants to be involved in your group, and whatever happens after that, well, that's up to him.

And I will let you know that, no, the "whole deal" is not any easier for guys, it's just a little more straight-forward.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.