Saturday, February 17, 2007

Follow up to emotions

Previously I wrote a blog wondering what the purpose of emotions was. I think I may have an answer to that. Emotions are what makes man human. God himself has emotions, we see this many times in scripture where the motions of God are described. We, humans, are made in the image of God, Genesis affirms this fact. As image bearers man therefore feels emotions. Without these emotions, man would not be man, man would be simply a robot, going through the motions of life. Without emotions man would not be able to love, laugh, to cry, to feel sorrow. I relate to the movie Equilibrium because in many ways I feel like the main character, John Preston. In the movie, Preston relearns feelings, using the senses, relearns passion. I relate to this because in many ways I feel as though I have my own difficulties with passionate emotions. I know this sounds trite, but these emotions are what bring us closer to God. Without emotions, we could have no knowledge of the cross. There would be no passion without these emotions. In short, emotions can aid in the chief end of man. The Westminster Shorter Catechism says the chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever, without emotions glorifying God and enjoying him forever would be impossible.
P. S. While you're at it you should go to www.scificatholic.com and check out the review I posted of the movie Equilibrium.

No comments: